nsyslogd - New Syslog Daemon
nsyslogd is a freeware replacement for the standard Unix
syslog daemon which provides many additional features.
- Download nsyslogd
- nsyslogd Features
- Future Plans
- Older Versions
The current version of nsyslogd is nsyslogd-0.3 beta.
nsyslogd is currently available only as source
code. In the future, Encap
packages will be made available.
nsyslogd offers the following features:
- Transferring log messages via TCP, in addition to UDP.
- Queuing messages for later delivery when a remote loghost is down.
- Uses the TCP Wrapper library (libwrap) for access control.
- Filtering log messages based on source host, regular expression
match, and/or very flexible facility/priority matching.
- Writing log messages to gzip-format compressed files, pipes to
external programs, etc.
- Supports printf()-style escape tokens for message and filename
Here are some of the features and changes planned for future releases
- New "default" filter type which is true when a message has not been
successfully delivered to any other destination.
- Allow special source tag "all" to be listed in a channel block.
Older versions of nsyslogd are available in source form:
Mark D. Roth <firstname.lastname@example.org>