libtar - tar file manipulation API
libtar is a C library for manipulating POSIX tar files.
It handles adding and extracting files to/from a tar archive.
- Download libtar
- libtar Features
- Planned Features for the Future
- libtar Mailing List
The current version of libtar is libtar-1.2.11.
The libtar source code is available from:
Binaries of libtar are available as Encap packages for a variety of platforms.
libtar offers the following features:
- Flexible API - you can manipulate individual files or just extract a whole archive at once.
- Allows user-specified read() and write() functions, such as zlib's gzread() and gzwrite().
- Supports both POSIX 1003.1-1990 and GNU tar file formats.
Planned Features for the Future
Here are some of the features and changes planned for future releases
- Ability to remove/replace a given file from an archive.
- Ability to manipulate order of files within an archive.
libtar Mailing List
To subscribe to the libtar mailing list, you can go to the
following web page:
The libtar mailing list has a number of uses:
- Announcing new versions of libtar.
- Submitting bug reports on libtar.
- Discussing ideas for new features of libtar.
- Questions about the libtar program or API.
Mark D. Roth <email@example.com>